Saturday 29 November 2014

Costa Rica Hidden Trekk

 
Waterfall Rapelling
Two weeks of a CR adventure. This is the trip that sparked my Love for learning how to really travel. I was with Autentico Adventures, a tour company, which provided local experiences including jungle homestays with different families hosting us. We learned how to cook with the families, make sugar from sugar canes, and live a lifestyle that they know as PuraVida. Autentico wasn’t kidding around, our tour began with a 6-7 hour hike to our first jungle homestay. Unbelievable views and lush greenery as you take in the earths elements. The best part of a 6 hour hike is that you are so deep in the jungle that you can drink the water straight from the waterfalls you pass. I bet you its way cleaner than the fluoride filled water we drink back home. While in the jungle we white water rafted down the Sevegre River and had the opportunity to cleanse ourselves through a natural sauna following the local’s rituals. 
After the homestays, we journeyed on some vigorous trails later to find our end reward be a jaw dropping waterfall embraced by lush greenery. Behind the waterfall was a cave where we would spend our next 2 nights. There was something so special about not having electricity or WiFI and going back to candlelight and fire to live that brought everyone closer together. We had to entertain ourselves by communicating and using our imaginations to play games and make music. We fell asleep to the sound of the waterfall and breathed in nothing but fresh air.

After living in the jungle for over a week, it was time to end our trip in a couple surf towns along the pacific coast, Dominical and Uvita. We had options to do some more excursions on our own time or just relax on the beach. I chose to try my first ever surf lesson in Uvita. I cannot express how exciting this was for me, as I have always dreamed of a surfer lifestyle. My favourite movie when it came out was Blue Crush (guilty pleasure). There was nothing pretty about learning how to surf, besides the scenery and warm ocean. This was hard, and exhausting. I didn’t realize how weak my upper body really was. My surf instructor (Gibran from Bodhi Surf) was super laid back, patient and cared that all of us stood up atleast once on the white water. My board was MASSIVE so there would be more stability, which only means I have no excuse to not stand up. Eventually I did, and road a white water wave to shore. That was all I needed, I was hooked. I knew I had to spend my last few days in Uvita renting a board and attempt to re live that feeling. A few friends and I got right to it and had a blast cheering eachother on and taking pics of eachothers wipeouts. Sadly it was time to return home, but I knew this wasn’t the last time Costa Rica would see me. I was already brewing a plan to head back soon to go to Surf School!  
Uvita

No comments:

Post a Comment